Latest News

Saturday Stepback: 1992

With the authentic matchday experience on hold for the time being, today sees the latest chapter of our new weekly series transporting us back to a game played on this day in yesteryear.

With the help of the Club’s Heritage Development Officer, Paul Treanor, every Saturday during football’s downtime, will revisit a match from the past via the medium of contemporary newspaper reports – with today’s spotlight falling on a League victory over Newry Town on April 11, 1992.

Duncan’s decider

Cliftonville completed a League double over Newry Town today with a narrow 1-0 win at Solitude.

The Reds, with former Northern Ireland international David Campbell in their ranks, gradually took the initiative in a scrappy opening period.

Campbell, playing in a deep midfield role, caused the visitors problems with a couple of well placed free-kicks.

But it was Jim McFadden who forced the opening for Cliftonville’s opening goal in the 19th minute. He lobbed over an excellent cross from the right for Wesley Robinson to head back towards goal and Duncan Macleod, just back from injury, supplied the finishing touch from two yards.

Newry, without marskman Ollie Ralph, looked lost in attack, managing just one shot on target in the opening 45 minutes.

The Reds should have got a second from the penalty spot in the 40th minute but keeper Paul Rice’s spot kick thundered off the crossbar.

Justice perhaps was done as referee Peter Thompson’s penalty award for a shove by Noel Murray on McFadden seemed very harsh.

Half Time: Cliftonville 1-0 Newry Town

Newry resumed with more resolve and could really have got back on level terms 11 minutes into the second half.

Paul McCartan knocked over a good cross from the right but Keith Kelly fluffed his shot, sending the ball wide of the post.

Despite a number of good attacking runs from McFadden, Cliftonville found the Newry defence more resilient after the break.

The best chance of an equaliser came in the 74th minute. Larry Griffen raced down the right on the break and his cross found Harry Fay in front of goal, but he blasted the ball high over the crossbar.

Cliftonville’s Wesley Robinson almost added his name to the scoresheet in the 83rd minute when his cross crashed off the post. Macleod then managed to blast the rebound over from three yards.

Result: Cliftonville 1-0 Newry Town

Man of the Match: Jim McFadden (Cliftonville)

Cliftonville: Rice, Tabb, Loughran, Campbell, Stitt, Breslin, Patterson, McFadden, O’Kane, Robinson, Macleod. Subs: Cullin, Maguire

Newry Town: McEntaggart, Matchett, Murray, Bradley, Gray, White, Fay, Griffen, O’Kane, Kelly, McCartan. Subs: O’Flaherty, Healey

Referee: P Thompson (Bangor)