We’re rarely short of a milestone or two here on cliftonvillefc.net and, indeed, often find ourselves spoilt for choice when it comes to retrospectives to choose from.
Such proved the case this weekend when, assessing the options for our new stepback feature, the archives delivered an interesting article from the Ireland’s Saturday Night celebrating the construction of Solitude’s Main Stand in a ‘Progress report from Solitude’ this week in 1953.
Story of a Grand Stand
The new grand stand at Cliftonville is reckoned to be the most modern structure of its kind in Ireland.
It replaces the stand destroyed last year by far and, in contrast to the old one, is steel.
There will be seating accommodation for over 2,000 people, with an absolutely uninterrupted view.
The stand cost £20,000 to erect and there is sufficient space remaining to continue the structure right to the end of the reserved side of the field in course of time.
The public, too, will have speedy ingress to the stand, for there are five new stiles leading direct to the staircase, with an additional two stiles further along the reserved side. In fact, Cliftonville has now 19 turnstiles in operation and there is space for five more if these should be found necessary.
The covered stand behind the goalposts at the pavilion end of the field could also be made into a double-decker if necessary and the funds available.
On this and other schemes to keep Cliftonville in the forefront of Irish football, the Management Committee are to be commended.