Cliftonville v Glenavon

Cliftonville 1 - 1 Glenavon
26 Jan 2019 - 15:00Solitude

Cliftonville made do with a point from this afternoon’s Danske Bank Premiership encounter with Glenavon.

Despite taking the lead through Ryan Curran after just five minutes, the Reds – who carved out the greater openings during a lively first-half performance – were pegged back by Stephen Murray’s equaliser early in a second period that saw the visitors go closest to claiming a winner, only to be denied by some smart stops by goalkeeper Richard Brush.

Shortly after Curran’s opener, which came after Joe Gormley and Rory Donnelly had both failed to connect with a low delivery from the left, Glenavon might have levelled a few minutes later when Conor McCloskey was denied by Brush twice in quick succession before Andy Hall also saw an effort saved.

Curran had a chance to double up on 25 minutes but could only fire straight at Johnny Tuffey after Donnelly’s initial attempt had been kept out.

McCloskey then had another go when Murray teed him up but he shot well over under pressure from Garry Breen before Chris Curran struck the outside of the post.

After the break, Brush did well to keep out a rocket of an effort from Rhys Marshall, diving at full stretch to turn the ball away, but the Englishman was beaten on 54 minutes when Murray got on the end of a deep ball into the box to flick the equaliser home.

The Lurgan Blues pushed to take the lead with Hall turning the ball into the side netting before McCloskey then struck the back post with a header.

McCloskey was frustrated again later in the game when only Brush’s outstretched leg kept the ball out whilst, in the closing moments, Murray thought he had grabbed the winner but Brush again was on hand to make a point blank save.

Cliftonville: Brush, McGovern, Breen, C Curran, R Curran, R Donnelly, Catney, Gormley, Lavery, A Donnelly, Gorman. Subs: Neeson, Harney, Garrett (for Lavery, 64 mins), McConnell, Maguire, McMenamin, Casey (for R Curran, 80 mins).